Cimitero degli Inglesi in Florence: memento mori

Cimitero degli Inglesi in Florence: memento mori

PHOTOS & SPANISH VERSION BELOW

We all are born to die, and the awareness of this truth acts as torture for many and as a relief for others. Standing in the centre of the present piazzale Donatello, the English Cemetery (Cimitero degli Inglesi) was laid out in 1828 by the architect Carlo Reishammer, for the Swiss Community, outside the 14th-century walls and the Porta a Pinti (demolished in the later 19th century). When the whole area was rearranged by Giuseppe Poggi, the cemetery stood out as a prominent feature, an ‘island of the dead’ surrounded by traffic. Here are the graves of some 1,409 non-Catholics from sixteen countries, including writers and artists such as the poets Elizabeth Barrett Browning and W. S. Landor, the sculptor Hiram Powers and the great scholar G. P. Vieusseux. Arnold Böklin’s famous painting The Island of the Dead was inspired by this cemetery. Among the Swiss, Russians, Americans and British buried here, English-speaking British and Americans are the majority as the Anglophone community in Florence in the nineteenth century was the largest. The cemetery had to be closed in 1877, when the law forbade burials of bodies within city limits.


Cimitero degli Inglesi de Florencia: memento mori

Nacemos para morir, y la conciencia de esta verdad actúa como una tortura para muchos y como un alivio para otros. Ubicado en medio del actual piazzale Donatello, el Cementerio inglés (Cimitero degli Inglesi) fue proyectado en 1828 por el arquitecto Carlo Reishammer, para la comunidad suiza residente en Florencia, fuera de las murallas del siglo XIV y de la Porta a Pinti, demolida a finales del siglo XIX. Cuando la zona fue reestructurada por Giuseppe Poggi, el cementerio permaneció como una especie de “isla de los muertos” circundada por el tráfico. Aquí yacen las tumbas de unos 1409 no católicos procedentes de dieciséis países, incluidos escritores y artistas como los poetas Elizabeth Barrett Browning y W. S. Landor, el escultor Hiram Powers y el gran erudito G. P. Vieusseux. La célebre pintura de Arnold Böklin La isla de la muerte está inspirada en este cementerio. Entre los suizos, rusos, estadounidenses y británicos enterrados aquí, las tumbas pertenecen en su mayor parte a británicos y estadounidenses, ya que la comunidad anglófona fue la más amplia durante el siglo XIX en Florencia. En 1877 el cementerio fue cerrado de acuerdo a las leyes que prohibían los entierros intramuros.

Author Gravater

Paco Neumann

Paco Neumann is a journalist, photographer, proofreader, flâneur and perpetual amateur currently living in between Florence, Berlin and Tenerife. He´s been a regular contributor to fashion, art, trend and lifestyle magazines and worked for news, advertising and communication agencies

Related Post

Leave a comment

Centro de preferencias de privacidad

¿Quieres cerrar tu cuenta?

Se cerrará tu cuenta y todos los datos se borrarán de manera permanente y no se podrán recuperar ¿Estás seguro?

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: